Tuesday 4 March 2014

Jan's Post-Holiday Reflections

After an extremely awesome time in New Zealand it was emotional saying good bye to the best “Roomy” and “Story Teller” (Katie) and Cycling Hubby (Phil).
I updated my ticket to business class using my air miles and as you can see lots of room and a chair that turned into a bed. Watched the end of “12 Years a Slave” and Philomena (both of which made me cry), then had a much needed kip!!
The only word to sum up the trip is AWESOME (which stands for Amazing, Wonderful, Energetic, Spectacular, Outstanding, Magnificent, Everlasting Memories). I enjoyed every minute of New Zealand well almost that’s apart from the downhill with the strong and gusty wind on the way to Queens Town. I was so scared that I was going to come off the bike as it was so difficult to control under those conditions!!!

The scenery was just awesome , my favourite views were cycling to Westport to the seal colony and seeing the view of the beach, rocks and sea as we approached and the view of Matheson Lake.
I have to say my favourite Lamb shank was in Fox (2nd night), favourite Pizza was in MataMata, favourite Salmon was in MossBurn and favourite Roast Beef was in Greymouth. Best Cuppa due to the size of the milk jug was on the way to Wanaka.


Of course Steve’s breakfasts were just the best and a great idea to bring everyone together before setting off for the days adventure. On the day s we had breakfast in the hotels they were not a patch on his.
Our rest days consisted of other activities. The Glacier walk was excellent followed by a walk around Lake Matheson.

I lost half a stone whilst away which is an added bonus!! Just need to keep it off now.
After the long flights home I was in bed by 9pm as I could no longer keep my eyes open but I did wake up 2 hours later and had to get up and read the “Blog”. Although I have to say it’s more exciting when Katie reads it. Katie do you think you could record the blog so that I can listen to your voice with my hot chocolate and two biscuits?!
The following morning I woke up with no sign of Katie or my Cuppa then realised it was time to go back to work. I am not sure anything can beat this adventure but Steve has sent through pictures of the Pacific Coast trip so who knows!!!

Tonight (Tuesday) I have been out for a 20 mile cycle and OMG how many pot holes are out there?! So different to the well kept roads in New Zealand. Even prefer the loose stones!!

No comments:

Post a Comment