Monday 17 February 2014

Greymouth to Harihari

Well just in case we were getting a bit blase after a week of sun it was time for some rain. The west coast is notorious for it so yesterday lady luck was clearly smiling on us.
Jan and I were feeling casual and were up for a bit of holiday mode cups of tea in bed and chitchat and a later start. The motel was really nice and there was always the chance it could brighten up?!
Phil was in agreement.
The others left not long after 8am as usual, perhaps with the mindset to get it over with.
At 9.15 Steve was called by Donna who had fallen off, an uneven bridge surface to blame. So Steve zipped off pronto to the rescue.
We scrabbled ourselves together and were off. The flat road went close to the coast but not on it, before winding in through some thick forest. 
For all the days for wet and cloud this was probably the best one for it to fall on as the greatest scenery is to come.
So the ride turned into essentially a 3 part time trial. After 23miles we had our first  pit stop. Phil was keen to visit a shop in Hokitika so we called in and who needs much persuasion on a wet day for yet another cappuccino?
Well, the universe works in truly magical ways as walking into the cafe I hear my name and it's my Auntie Mary and Uncle Rex, on holiday in NZ touring around!!!!!
What are the chances of that?!?! I've not seen them for 7 years:
That has to be well up there with the biggest coincidences of my life.
So, after some catching up and amazement, as well as hearing some good tips about where we'll be visiting in the coming week we parted ways.
Mary has your email now mum too!
Time for time trial part two which took us to 43miles. I was keeping a not hanging around 20mph.
At the second stop we caught up Steve and Donna and Graham. Unfortunately in the slippery bridge incident Graham had also come off and as well as being rather sore had broken the electric gear shifter. Doubly unfortunate as at the local bike store in Greymouth they'd not even heard of such a thing.
We'll see what solution is found, Jan and I have come up with several ideas Steve!
So after a toastie (and mince on toast for Phil!!) back out into the wet.
Lost my 20mph average after a few miles as we had to traverse an unmade road. Agh not keen on these! I held up all the traffic tottering along praying for no punctures. The cycling gods answered my prayers!
Then it was time to put my feet down and push on to Hari Hari, our destination.
Still no let up in the rain but Jan and I now have a very cosy little house to stay in, which we are turning into a shoe flavoured tropical subclimate, with the aid of a fan heater.
And look at who came to the window to proudly show us her babies:
If two weeks ago someone had said I'd enjoy 67miles cycling in the rain I'd have been somewhat cynical. But today was as much about connecting with humans, as previous days have been about nature. In our three we've always kept smiling and it was nice of Phil to say I have enough chirp for everyone. 
Having discussed the rare feathered inhabitants of NZ with mum this morning, I realise I have my own kiwi at home: very cute to look at, part-nocturnal, rare and my mate for life❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment