Tuesday 4 February 2014

Miranda to Matamata

New Zealand names are all w's, k's and repeated syllables! My Maori pronunciation is having some attention from Donna, a fellow cyclist from NZ.
I keep wanting to reply with an Aussie/ NZ accent for some reason.
The first 20m could have been the fens, flat as a mat, canals to the side and straight roads. Glad of Donna's chat and the chance to talk about my frenchie🍌

Then within a few miles we were in what looked like the lake district, then the setting for the more recent King Kong film! Was that filmed here too?!

Today was the only flat day in February so warned to make the most of it. Flat here is still not flat flat!
Hot here again ( it's tough haha) and humid. Had cultivated a nice little salt beard by the time we stopped at Te Aroha for a pit stop. I was flagging a bit, so topped up my fuel tank with a custard square and about a pint of cappucino. Much easier cycling after that! 
Met a spanish cyclist who was touring round carrying everything. He told me a Pinarello was his dream. Bet it was after lugging all that gubbins around.
So after that we went off the route to visit Wairere Falls, armed with our trainers in our bags. Locked up the velos then off we went up through the jungle vegetation.
Left my fellow walkers behind and enjoyed the many cicadas singing away as I got a sweat on climbing up. Felt nice to get my parts off the saddle😀
My feet loved having a soak at the bottom of the falls, so much so I had to make two stops. Was tempted to get my bum in there too but thought better of it. 

A few more weeks on the saddle and I'll be right in there though!
65miles today.




No comments:

Post a Comment