Tuesday 18 February 2014

Harihari to Fox

After hosting breakfast in our little house (we're taking turns each day) we were off just after 9am. The forecast promised better weather later in the day where we were heading, so the intrepid explorers set off. 
It was rather amusing how diligently Jan and I ensured all our kit was dry, for it to then be soaked through within 10minutes. Nice to be dry for breakfast anyway!
The first section to Whataroa was flat, well it looked flat but there were quite a few false flats today and it felt harder. Legs felt more tired today, partly due to a bit of a rubbish sleep. Perhaps caused by a bit of pining for my kiwi🐦
Donna was back on her bike, confidence restored albeit with a somewhat sore body.
Graham was left with Steve at Harihari, awaiting news of his bike repairs back in Greymouth.
Still no news and it's 3.45pm, perhaps Steve and Graham decided to sack in the cycling lark and chill out with the rather laid back hosts of our motel there?!
So anyway, fingers were crossed there were no other issues among the other riders today.
After Whataroa we pushed on, catching Kim, who never stops at cafes (only on the roadside to eat her snacks). I try my best not to give her a fright each time I go past but to no avail. Whatever volume I say hello with makes her visibly jump from her reverie.
We cycled past Mount Cook I think but he was lost in the rainclouds. On into Franz Josef , again mostly lost in cloud but a welcome bit of shelter from the continual deluge and a very tasty cheese scone.
I was pretty soaked to the skin now and knowing my body, realised the only way to inject some heat was to get the pistons engaged and the central heating back on, I prayed for a hill, a big long one!
Well the next 14miles were that, 3 hills of increasing steepness and it didn't take too long for my fingertips to turn back from purple to happy pink. 
On approaching the last climb a workman smugly told me it was the steepest one yet. Good I said. Take that! After pumping away out of the saddle for a couple of miles the summit was reached and time to whizz down into Fox. 
The hotel lady seemed less than pleased by my drowned rat appearance and velo! There's 4 more to come I said, haha!
So now we are in our room, warm and showered but nothing to wear except a towel til Steve arrives! 
All is calm chez nous but there's only enough milk for one more cup of tea.....then there's no telling what Jan might do...
Wet Sherwood!

1 comment:

  1. Hey - what an amazing coincidence - meeting your family, they say the world is getting smaller - looks like you are getting used to getting wet ;-( hope it sorts itself out soon. Not much news from this end usual **** just a different day. Had a message from Rosa on FB about going out to NZ for her 40th in June - unfortunately time and money has a lot to do with that - booo!!
    Glad all is good with you - eat plenty and have fun - big hugs and love xxx

    ReplyDelete