Saturday 15 February 2014

Murchison to Westport


Another day in cycling heaven:
60miles of quiet Highway 6, my new favourite road in the world. The road winds along next to the river Buller, lots of rolling ups and downs and switchbacks. Really really fun on two wheels!
The day started murkily, cool mountain mist and slightly murky heads due to the raucous local yokels in the bar below our bedroom last night. Nothing a few miles of fresh air couldn't sort out!
The mist soon cleared and the arms were back out, now definitely the most tanned they've ever been in February! 
Magic miles to the snack stop at 30miles, kindly laid on by our leader with his cool box due to it being Sunday so shut up shop time.
The day was the quickest yet, so in to Westport by 1.15pm Jan the stat master informs me.
Time for lunch in town, then they cycled off on the hunt for seals while I re-grouped and mentally prepared for the long run. Bouyed by ginger biscuits and caffeine, sunhat on and she's off. I ran to the coast to the lighthouse, beyond Carters Beach. 8miles exactly there and how glorious it was too:
What a lovely salty mess😃
Had a little stroll about, bumped into jan and phil (!) then ran back. What made it all the more special was that for the first time since October I ran with no niggly shin, cycling is a cure-all yet again in my life🚲🚲🚲
Now to go and hunt a fishy supper. Perfect day again.

2 comments:

  1. Hey lovely lady - been having some issues sending you messages, hopefully this has worked. Thank you for my toasty totes, I have been wearing them continuously as you can imagine over here!! I am so glad you are enjoying the South Island, it is truly amazing and I am STILL jealous.. looks like you are having a fab time and catching the sun, as opposed to rust from earlier in your trip.. all good this end I have found another couple of grey hairs the consequence of being 41 - booooo.. Mr D and Bols are all good. I hope you see lots of seals and more wonderful wildlife. Your blog is fab and you write so well... anyway fingers crossed this works - big love and hugs and if it does I know to use my pc as opposed to IPAD xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs D, lovely to know you're sharing the adventure. Others have said probs leaving comments too, nice to know Im not talking to myself (all the time haha)
      Jans loving the bedtime stories anyway. Glad to hear Bolly ok, was hoping so. And glad to hear you've survived the birthday with minimal extra grey hairs😃 I'm hoping the sun will disguise mine😃 much love and big chat once I'm back xxx

      Delete