Friday 28 February 2014

Queenstown to Auckland

Today we had until about 2.30pm to amuse ourselves in Queenstown, until Steve took us and our bike boxes to the airport, for the first section of our flight homeward-bound.
The forecast was for wet last night so we all had no qualms in enjoying a few beverages in the pub. Last couple of days of 'Savs'- the bastardised kiwi pronunciation of Sauvignon.
From all my sampling Olympus Sav was the nicest🍸
After a relaxed start I decided to squeeze in my last long run here, as the rain was just a threat and the friendly receptionist seemed happy for me to have a few extra minutes in the room to shower after. 
Breakfast wasn't up to Steve's cardboard box surprise standard so minimal digestion time was needed (it was almost possible to inhale the miniscule amount of muesli) and I soon was running along the Frankton track and round to the falls. 6miles out before turning back.
It was rather lovely to know my other half was doing exactly the same on the other side of the world.
I think the receptionist was still bowled over by the romance of yesterday's floral surprise as she couldn't stop telling me how nothing like that ever happens. And I grinned like the cyclist who's just found a motel room with a bath.
Quick shower then off into the now drizzly weather to walkabout a bit. Bought a couple more (light) souvenirs, as my weight allowance is no doubt right on the wire and every gram counts.
Bumped into my companions who were also playing dodge the rain. 

The rain had stopped by 13.30 and snow could now be seen on the tops:
Mother Nature's helping to ease the transition further, the temperature here can't be much different to the UK and locals now have winter to look forward to, whereas we have Spring and all the fun that that will bring🏊🚴🌿🏡🏃❤️
....now we are at the airport getting excited about the in flight refreshments. I'm still feeling muddled about the BIG flight back in time, does that mean we just keep being given breakfasts over and over again?
It's now 23.00. The bike boxes have been reorganised, aiming for 30kg. There was a bit of shuffling around at Queenstown to get under 23kg. I now know my seat post weighs 1.2kg and socks and other slightly whiffy items 1.3kg.
The security man was very pleasant examining my bag and generally staff as amenable as can be, treating us as humans rather than cattle.
I noted it took the time to drink two cups of water, read two blog entries to jan and phil, watch a funny nz safety notice, eat a cookie and read 8 pages of my book to fly the distance it took us 21 days to cycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment