Saturday 15 February 2014

Nelson to Murchison

78 miles of this today:
Nature in it's raw state is the greatest entertainment there is. Cycled along today in a state of euphoric wonder, gazing at the lush green mountainsides and loving every moment.
As we left Nelson behind it was out into the wilds and we'd been forewarned of very little in the way of refreshment stops. Exciting! Although there was a little apprehension at breakfast for some in the group, about the longer mileage. Jan and I, being mileage junkies, were full of enthusiasm!
Some bigger ups and downs followed and my legs felt strong today, happiness is a powerful drug indeed.
Cycling is a great leveller, as Phil remarked earlier. Kim and I were on a level when I caught her up after 15miles, chatted about boils, then I pottered off.

Everywhere looks so lush and alive, the grass a vivid green, the trees shades of rich deep green and the cows, deer and horses look gleaming and content. 
Much like us!
There was a cafe at 30miles so I waited for the others there. The coffees were really nice so I had a couple and took in the sun-soaked landscape.
The road wove a path through the valley, sometimes then taking us up high, then back down next to the creek. By 50miles we'd done most of the ascent. 
In winter the river must be a torrent but mid-summer it was just a creek babbling away. 
Saw fields of deer, some more hawks and my favourite bird, the tui was there tooting away for much of the day. They have a brilliant cheery call, perfect for a ring-tone hahaha
So now we're in the heart of kiwi land and staying in a pub. There's a county show on so it's all very rural! Kim has remarked on the robust locals, wearing unsuitable attire for their hearty frames. 
When I stopped earlier for a drink en route a local came to chat and started telling me about the gold rush as I downed another cappucino. I'd gone a bit funny as the barman had asked where I'd cycled from today and I thought, I haven't the foggiest. Luckily he hazarded some guesses in the awkward silence and he was right fourth time.
Jan also had a funny 5 minutes earlier in the day forgetting how to change gear, essentially, how to ride a bike! A near kiss the tarmac incident.
Gonna go and look for Jan and Phil now, wondering if Jan might be trading handyman Phil for some lambs at the show, now she's got a taste for the local meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment