Monday 24 February 2014

Queenstown to Mossburn

I'm starting to suspect my roomy is suffering from body dys-tannia. This morning a little liverpudlian voice piped up next to me  "I don't think I'm that brown". I turned to look at the smiling conker next to me and replied that I'm not sure it's possible to be any more suntanned.
So, penultimate day on the bikes! We left Queenstown behind and spent the first 20miles alongside Lake Wakatipu, in the shade of the mountains, so a bit fresh.
I kept thinking of Grieg, in the Hall of the Mountain King do de do de do do dooooo.
After 28miles it was time for a little stop and the mood was holidayish and relaxed with myself, Kim, Steve and Donna supping a beverage. The sun felt powerful but the air was cool, unusual weather. So it was a bit of a top on/ top off/top on/top off morning.
Jan and Phil caught up at the next stop at 46miles. Jan's gear cable had snapped leaving Queenstown, so Steve had performed an earlier rescue. Here's a picture of her usual rescuer:
The rescue must have quite worn Steve out as you can see, running a Bike Adventure trip is jolly hard work:
The mountains were sun-scorched brown grass today and most of the day it all hardly looked real.
Sometimes I still can't quite believe I'm cycling through New Zealand, so perhaps it's not!
Lots of sheep today, who all look a bit baffled by a bike whizzing by. I think the farmer looked a bit bemused earlier too when he saw me have a quick piddle on the side of the road too haha. I do love being at one with nature!
The last 20miles felt a bit of a slog, the road disappeared into the horizon and our arch enemy the headwind was back!
I arrived at Mossburn Hotel/pub and after a bit of banter with the friendly barman and a chase by the local Jack Russell got in and showered. 
Am now installed in the garden in the sun!
Mike made a good observation earlier at breakfast about the trip. If you go on holiday for a couple of weeks you're left wanting more, but after nearly 4 weeks away, going home becomes as appealing. It feels very much like you can have the best of both worlds😍
70miles today and last washing of the cycling shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment