Tuesday 11 February 2014

Otaki to Wellington

What an adventure today's ride was! As explained before the trip there would be some unknowns route-wise and that's to be expected in my view and part of the fun.
10miles along was the first bit of cycle path, I wish I'd listened to my little inner voice that said "don't do it" but I didn't and sure enough a mile later I was punctured!
Having forgotten my own pump for the trip (my one omission, learning point one) Graham had kindly loaned me his. Sadly when needed it turned out to be broken ( my learning point number two:always check your tools function). Donna came to the rescue with her silver weopen and some fiddling about later I was back pumped up. 
So, 10miles further on when the route took us off the road onto path again I thought non and decided to deviate from the yellow pages! I decided to trust my in-built sat nav and off I went. Jan and Phil decided to return to the route so I was again a solo adventurer. 
Felt rather pleased with myself as I made it back to join the route via the road, just in time for our first big climb of the trip. Loved that! I do like a big old hill! And brilliant views up there along the Kapiti coastline. Big smile firmly in place!
Back down the other side and the nitty gritty of the route to Wellington really got underway. Three yellow pages today as opposed to half, or even the minimal 3 daily instructions to come on the South Island!
Again, felt pleased with my navigating and got a bit emotional today with the first view of Wellington, truly breathtaking.

What a road into the city....the city proved challenging to say the least to orientate through to the hotel. It's now 3pm and no Steve or anyone, which suggests quite a few navigational adventures for my companions. Glad I trusted my nose👃
Hotel seems really nice, quite a treat for our rest day. 
Now nearly 4 and in my room getting ready to explore....still no jan or phil!

No comments:

Post a Comment