Tuesday 25 February 2014

Mossburn to Te Anau

The cycle adventure is now complete as we have reached Te Anau, a small town on the edge of yet another beautiful lake, on the edge of fjordland.
I was up awake before the larks today, having felt so shattered last night by 9pm I even hinted to Jan if she didn't get a wriggle on into her bed there might be no bed time story! Hence me then being awake at 5.30am😄
So I was off almost as early as Kim this morning.
I think my body had made it so, as I have enjoyed riding by myself most of the time and it felt right to round off the last day riding like that.
It was chilly first thing but deceptive weather again, as evidenced by my pinkish arm from yesterday. But we were all (except Jan!) pretty much covered up til the coffee stop at 36miles. Manapouri was a wonderful oasis of sparkling water and mountains after the browny hillsides.
I seemed to be hunting that mountain peak for ages, suspecting a visual treat would make the blustery miles well worth it and we were not disappointed, again😄
From there, topped up on nuts, it was only 14miles to our final destination:
I felt a wave of lots of feelings as I pulled up alongside the lake and luckily there were some holiday makers I could babble my accomplishment to, and ask to take a picture with me in!

So now the 1314miles are done, 85.5 hours cycling in the legs. And all of a sudden I feel really really tired!!

My bike has been brilliant, no issues at all except a minor gear cable adjustment. 
So now he's all packed up, snug in his box, ready for the first leg of the journey back up to Auckland.

We have 3 days of leisure pursuits ahead and tomorrow we're off to Milford Sound for a boat trip. A restful day. With that thought in mind, decided to go and have a run round the lake to try and find the famous Keplar trail. Made it to Dock Bay, 4miles away. That film where the heroine is in a lush forest, with shafts of sunlight glinting through the magical gnarly trees, when she stumbles across a unicorn.....well I was in that wood! No unicorn but another really wonderful memory😄




No comments:

Post a Comment