Thursday 6 February 2014

Rotorua to Taupo

The day started, much to Jan's horror, with what looked suspiciously like rain. Phil's mudguards (from nowhere) weren't needed on this occasion as the light drizzle was soon out-cycled and by 10am the jackets were off!
Really loved the ride today, reminded me of cycling through Scotland and the lowlands, almost constant ups and downs and a bit longer than those so far on the adventure. The hills are coming!

Almost to the minute after one hour my fidgeting starts. Two hours in it's regular shuffling on the rock. I'm without doubt caught between a rock and a hard saddle.
At the coffee stop, 30m in, I was greeted by an enthusiastic English couple who were passionate about cycling and very envious of the trip. They came from Romney Marsh so I enjoyed talking about my homeland of Kent. The bike had yet more admiring looks😍
Back on Highway 1 for a bit then off into the pine forests. The deep green everywhere was a feast for the eyes. 
Jacket back on as the temperature dropped a bit again and I zipped along. Nature seemed to give me a turbo boost today. Or perhaps it was the 9 hour solid sleep, unheard of for me, except on cycling holidays!
It's funny how seemingly random songs can pop into your head, for this stretch I had Phil Collins on a loop "two hearts beating in just one time" tra la la❤️ 
Cruised into Taupo and along the lake front. Quite busy as there's lots of events this weekend and got my first glimpse of all the stereotype NZ backpacker student types. Stopped for a coffee and cake on the water edge and contemplated life a bit😃
Then on to the motel. Had already decided I was sufficiently full of beans to do my long run. Had planted that seed weeks ago actually and it's a rare day one of my seeds doesn't see fruition. So I decided to go and find the Huka Falls, armed with phone etc (mum and dad!)
Asked some locals a few times as it wasn't straight forward but once on the Huka walkway it was a runner's delight. The river looked fantastically blue and the trail was really fun. Got to the falls, marvelled some more at nature and then ran back. 
By the time I got back to the shore I was dry as a bone so had possibly the tastiest smoothie I've ever had. Then guzzled some orange juice and wished I'd slowed down a bit, as usual. 
65miles today and can feel a sleep pb on the cards.




No comments:

Post a Comment